[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu May 3 17:19:50 EDT 2012

On 5/3/12, Joel jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/12 13:21 , William Herrin wrote:
>> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM, paul vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
>>> and i don't see anyone other than the RIRs who could do it.
>>>
>>> and i don't see any way to continue the internet's prior growth curve
>>> without this.
>>
>> As ISPs begin to make use of the carrier NAT space where a single
>> global IP serves hundreds of customers, is it really necessary for
>> ARIN to spot-check the identities of the customers sitting behind a
>> particular address in order to verify that the use is legitimate?
>
> ranges used by nat translators should be documented as such. they are
> not customer assignments. I've done this in the course of direct
> assignment requests. I have not yet been asked to demonstrate outgoing
> port utlization efficiency whatever that my imply at some future  date.

Hi Joel,

Has anyone at ARIN promised you it won't do so in your next round?
Unless I misunderstood John Curran, he said that and anything else
which consumes IP addresses is fair game. He said they don't ask
egregiously. But they also won't go out of their way to avoid asking.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004