[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-167 Removal of Renumbering Requirement for Small Multihomers

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu May 3 01:56:43 EDT 2012

On 5/2/2012 9:48 PM, Kevin Blumberg wrote:
> Jimmy,
>
> In practice your description of renumbering is completely valid. I
> have found that there are always edge cases that complicate the
> situation. I had to renumber a /23 a couple years back that was
> supporting 1000 domains for webhosting. I used a similar method you
> described below and that handled 85 percent of the customers. Then
> the edge cases started cropping up, domains that we were not
> authoritative on, and the customer had hard coded the A records for
> the old IP netblock. Customers that had hard coded the IP inside of
> scripts and firewalls. We spent countless hours contacting the
> customers to complete the work and every time we had to tip toe
> because we were inconveniencing them.
>
> I consider the initial decision to  renumber out of PA space and get
> your first PI space hard enough. It is a careful balance of having
> freedom and flexibility with the work to renumber. To require  an
> organization to do it over and over again as they grow is wrong.

It is a greater wrong to require everyone else to spend lots of
money upgrading their router ram to hold larger tables just to make
things easier for some people.  1000 domains may seem like a lot but
that figure is nothing compared to what is on the Internet today.

The balance is and always has been between the amount of work that
an org has to do to connect, vs the amount of work the rest of us
have to do to allow them to connect.

Ted