[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

paul vixie paul at redbarn.org
Wed May 2 21:28:03 EDT 2012

On 5/3/2012 1:15 AM, Dmitry Burkov wrote:
> Paul.
> imho - the data should distributed - yes - it could be different for arin - as you
> can easily can forget that you are responsible not only for US

i have not made the mistake of forgetting non-us countries. rather, i am
thinking in terms of the health of the internet economy, for the good of
the world. we, the citizens of the internet, need accountability for
those people and companies who are allowed to reserve unique internet
resources such as numbers. and in case there's any question of
russian/english word choices, let me say that i don't want such data to
be "distributed" other than to trustworthy parties under nondisclosure
and other restricted terms. if we allow for "distribution" in the sense
of anyone and everyone being able to possess unrestricted copies of the
aggregate of all registration information, then that would encourage
registrants to hide, either from spammers, from criminals, and so on.

what i want for registration data is accuracy and fair/reasonable access
to specific information at need.

> Dima
> ps
> we should solve this issue any way - but not this way
> superconcentration of power is dangerous for rirs

as a child of the cold war, i know well the dangers of superconcentrated
power. however, i am not willing to trade away accountability to get
avoidance of concentration of power. instead i propose that the
community formulate reasonable rules that balance the rights of
registrants with the rights of the rest of the community, and that the
community maintain vigilant control of the instruments they create
(whether RIR's or governments or armies or police forces) to prevent
abuses of any necessarily concentrated power.

--
"But I'm not done complaining." --Dagon, 2012