[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-167 Removal of Renumbering Requirement for Small Multihomers

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed May 2 00:39:06 EDT 2012

On May 1, 2012, at 3:35 PM, Bill Darte wrote:
> Are you for, or against the proposal?

I'm of deeply mixed opinion. I definitely understand the routing table slots issue. But I suspect it has less meaning now than it did before, due to everyone having to get much bigger tables in the last few years anyway. And there simply won't be *that* many /24s that acquire another /24.  Before I consider that a threat, I'd like to see someone do the math real quick on how many /24s are there, and if every one of them got another /24 (if that is possible in the current free pool) what the table growth would be.

I absolutely don't feel that "pain of renumbering" is now, nor should ever dictate policy.  I don't think we should renumber without reason, but hell we all re-arrange when we move to a bigger house ;-)

--
Jo Rhett