[arin-ppml] DRAFT POLICY 2012-3: ASN TRANSFERS

Michael Sinatra michael+ppml at burnttofu.net
Fri Mar 30 12:12:16 EDT 2012

On 3/30/12 8:43 AM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

> I disagree that continually adding more bits as decades pass is the
> solution to all resource shortages. Regardless of whether we have 2,
> 4, 8, etc bits we should have policies in effect which allow for more
> efficient use (eg. transfers).
>
> My two cents.

With respect to ASNs, that horse has already left the barn.  32-bit ASNs
are commonly being assigned in other regions, and the standard is
already supported in vendor equipment.  There may still be issues with
actual carrier support of 32-bit ASNs, but if you really think we
shouldn't be adding bits to ASNs, you have long ago lost that argument.

michael