[arin-ppml] WhoWas Service Now in ARIN Online Announcement

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Mar 29 11:19:27 EDT 2012

On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:29 AM, paul vixie wrote:

> On 3/29/2012 3:53 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> On Mar 28, 2012, at 1:27 PM, admin at directcolocation.com wrote:
>>> I do agree that it is not a bad thing but I do not see how it is a fair
>>> approach for a new service being applied to the whois at this date
>>> forward, if you were in the business of LAW then it would appear that it
>>> was a law that was being implemented and now would effect you on anything
>>> you have done in the past vrs now that you know making sure that you
>>> govern yourself accordingly.
>> I completely disagree.
>
> i almost completely disagree but i do see some small merit in the
> concerns that have been expressed.
>
>> Nothing being published by ARIN today is anything that ARIN did not
>> publish in the past. In the past anyone could have archived what was
>> published and so there is no new exposure from ARIN making it
>> available today.
>
> when data is available in the aggregate it has different privacy
> considerations than when it's available only in focus. to see this work
> in the real world, witness the difference in how people feel about
> having their picture taken if they know it's going up on the web with
> full tagging and facial recognition. or how people feel about a picture
> of their front yard appearing somewhere on the web, vs. having it on
> google street view.

I don't see the privacy concerns of individual whowas queries as being
any different from the privacy concerns of individual whois queries.

In either case, it is specific, indexed, tied to a particular entity.

In one case, it is current information only.

In the other, it is current + historical information.

In this day and age, if you expect people not to put your public historical
information together with your public current information, you are likely
to be disappointed on many more fronts than just ARIN.

Owen