[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2012-3: ASN Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Mar 28 14:16:26 EDT 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> Can you (or perhaps ARIN staff) shed some light on what is already
> transpiring with respect to ASN transfers other than via M&A?

In general, it is difficult to assess whether parties would like to
transfer ASNs (outside of normal M&A) as they are likely not request
such from ARIN if they are familiar with the existing NRPM 8.3 policy.
In an effort to shed some light on potential demand, we went back through
the 2011 and 2012 transfer tickets (which is when the majority of the 8.3
transfers have taken place) to try to discern if there were ASN resources
included originally as part of any 8.3 specified transfers requests. In
doing so, we found that there were 3 requests that originally included
ASN resources in the original transfer request (and which were then removed
due to the existing policy language.)  This is out of a total of 31 specified
transfer requests (26 in 2011 and 5 requests so far in 2012.)

I hope this information is helpful in your policy considerations,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN