[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2012-3: ASN Transfers

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:41:33 EDT 2012

On 3/23/12 13:16 CDT, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 21:23, Tom Vest<tvest at eyeconomics.com>  wrote:
>> The risk would be to the value of the information that RPKI provides to (any/all) non-peers, and at least potentially to direct peers as well (as I believe Chris alluded to earlier this week). The knowledge that route (a) was originated by AS (x) is only meaningful insofar as one has some set of high-confidence beliefs/expectations about AS (x). However, if AS (x) can change hands at will, henceforth no such confidence will be possible for the overwhelming majority if not all ASes.
>
> So, what I am hearing the RPKI experts say, is that ASNs (at least
> from some point moving forward) might need to be eternally unique,
> and that in (all?) cases of mergers, acquisitions, and/or bankrupcy transfers
> of numbers, ARIN should issue a new ASN in exchange (with some
> period of overlap, presumably) in order that reputation is not migrated.
> Also, presumably, the (new) ASN should be issued by ARIN without
> an additional needs review (it is an exchange in the best interests
> of the (RPKI) community, not a new request).

I think that is what was said. However, I'm not sure Owen or Tom
classify themselves as RPKI experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.
And, if I'm wrong, I apologize.  Further, this is the first I heard of
this being an issue, it's never been brought up in any of the several
RKPI talks I've been to.

> Is this a correct characterization of the RPKI experts opinions?

I would appreciate comments from RPKI experts on this issue.  If ASN
transfers actually create additional risk within RPKI, then that is
something we need to consider.  But I for one would like to have a much
more detail description of the problem and/or a pointer to previous
discussion of the issue.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952