[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2012-3: ASN Transfers

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:15:44 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Tom Vest <tvest at eyeconomics.com> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2012, at 2:40 PM, David Farmer wrote:
>
>> On 3/16/12 10:11 CDT, Tom Vest wrote:
>>
>>> 3. Entities that would not be unhappy to see SIDR/RPKI fail
>>> absolutely and/or to succeed primarily in turning the current
>>> industry pecking order into a perpetual, insurmountable reputation
>>> hierarchy -- where no amount of good of behavior can ever be truly
>>> reassuring (if you're a new entrant), and no instance of bad behavior
>>> need ever tarnish one's own reputation (if you're an incumbent
>>> operator) -- would have everything they require to achieve those
>>> goals.
>>
>> I'd be interested in more details on the risks you see ASN transfers creating for RPKI.
>>
>> Would such risks to RPKI associated with ASN transfers be any different than ARIN reassigning an ASN that was returned to it or that ARIN reclaimed?
>>
>> Are you saying that ASNs are suppose to be both globally and eternally unique?
>>
>> I'm not saying I'd be opposed to ASNs being eternally unique, but I didn't know it was a requirement, especially of RPKI.
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>
> Hi David,
>
> The risk would be to the value of the information that RPKI provides to (any/all) non-peers, and at least potentially to direct peers as well (as I believe Chris alluded to earlier this week). The knowledge that route (a) was originated by AS (x) is only meaningful insofar as one has some set of high-confidence beliefs/expectations about AS (x). However, if AS (x) can change hands at will, henceforth no such confidence will be possible for the overwhelming majority if not all ASes.

If the ASN was transferred and trust mechanisms were implemented,
wouldn't the trust chain break?

I don't quite understand what the problem you are describing actually
is. If someone transfers an ASN to "steal" peering, it would take a
lot more work than just that. At a very high level, the entire
relationship would change and probably dramatically from what it was
before the transfer.

How about a real world example of how transferring an ASN has hurt someone?

Best,

-M<