[arin-ppml] Inital ISP IPv6 Allocation Policy Question

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Mar 22 00:41:21 EDT 2012

On 3/21/12 20:50 CDT, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2012, at 5:11 PM, Kevin Blumberg wrote:
>
>> I wanted to get some feedback from the community on the following section of the NRPM.
>>
>> 6.5.2.2. Qualifications
>>
>> An organization qualifies for an allocation under this policy if they meet any of the following criteria:
>> 1. Have a previously justified IPv4 ISP allocation from ARIN or one of its predecessor registries or can qualify for an IPv4 ISP allocation under current criteria.
>>
>> In my mind this text would allow for ARIN, to setup a fast track button on ARIN online, to give an existing IPv4 member a new allocation without any
>> further justification. Is that how other's read this text, is there any other text that you believe would contradict my statement?
>>

> Sort of yes and sort of no. They would still need to evaluate their IPv6 need in terms of determining a prefix size if the provider wanted something other than a /32. Since most providers will likely need something larger than a  /32, I'm not a big fan of the idea of setting up an APNIC-Like Easy IPv6 "Push here for a /32" button.

Heather beat me to the punch, but I fleshed it out a bit more.  And, I
agree with the warning button.

I tend to agree with the objection to just proving a one click for a
/32, as it will not serve many providers very well.  However, what if we
created a policy allowing for an even more simplified justification for
larger IPv6 allocations based on a providers total IPv4 allocations.

Something like; if a ISP has an equilivant of a total /15 or more of
IPv4, they need no additional justification to receive /28, and if they
have a /9 or more they need on additional justification to receive /24,
more than a /24 requires a complete justification.

Similarly, we could provider end-users a simplified justification for
IPv6 assignments as well.  End-users with than a /18 or more of IPv4
automatically qualify for a /44 of IPv6, or more than a /15 they
automatically qualify for a /44, more than a /44 requires a complete
justification.

Because there will probably be a financial impact, it should be
implemented with maybe two clicks, for a provider select from /36, /32,
/28, and /24, allowing the appropriate options base on a providers total
IPv4 allocation.  This would probably allow an 80/20 rule to come in to
play and provide for web page for IPv6 allocations appropriate for more
than 80% of ARIN members.

The /18, /15, and /9 are just examples, you would want to look at a
histogram of total IPv4 allocations by organization, before actually
picking the cut-offs, but I think those may be at least in the ballpark.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952