[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2012-3: ASN Transfers

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Mar 16 14:40:31 EDT 2012

On 3/16/12 10:11 CDT, Tom Vest wrote:

> 3. Entities that would not be unhappy to see SIDR/RPKI fail
> absolutely and/or to succeed primarily in turning the current
> industry pecking order into a perpetual, insurmountable reputation
> hierarchy -- where no amount of good of behavior can ever be truly
> reassuring (if you're a new entrant), and no instance of bad behavior
> need ever tarnish one's own reputation (if you're an incumbent
> operator) -- would have everything they require to achieve those
> goals.

I'd be interested in more details on the risks you see ASN transfers
creating for RPKI.

Would such risks to RPKI associated with ASN transfers be any different
than ARIN reassigning an ASN that was returned to it or that ARIN reclaimed?

Are you saying that ASNs are suppose to be both globally and eternally
unique?

I'm not saying I'd be opposed to ASNs being eternally unique, but I
didn't know it was a requirement, especially of RPKI.

Thanks
David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952