[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2012-4: Return to 12 Month Supply and Reset Trigger to /8 in Free Pool

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 23:50:33 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

I am opposed to this proposed policy.

> The policy scope applies only to IPv4 resources. For those, it is not a question of how long we want resources to be available, but, how we distribute the pain of runout.
> Owen

There you go.    I'll take the pin prick every week for the next 5
years  over  decapitation in 12 months any day.   Both questions
amount to the same;  "how long we want there to be resources available
for assignment" is equivalent to  "how long until runout".

The idea that the amount of pain will necessarily be the same no
matter how it is distributed, is just wrong.  The duration of
exhaustion cannot be considered independent of other factors related
to the amount of "pain",  such as more time and opportunity to
conserve and promote more efficient use of IPv4 addressing,  and more
time available for IPv6 technologies to mature and be implemented.

Increasing the time until runout  by avoiding allocating resources too
far in advance
reduces the net amount of pain.

--
-JH