[arin-ppml] ARIN-2012-1: Clarifying requirements for IPv4 transfers

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 14:56:15 EST 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:28, Alexander, Daniel
<Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> Owen and Chris G,
>
> In previous threads you have suggested the inclusion of transfers in the
> 12 month restriction on the source organization of a transfer. This would
> be in addition to any allocation or assignment from ARIN's free pool.
>
> I have asked ARIN staff for feedback and they raised a point. Section 8.2
> transfers are often used to bring records up to date prior to any 8.3
> transfer. If we only say "transfers" without clarifying, it could create
> an issue. Is your thought to include any and all transfers as triggering a
> 12 month black out from further sourcing transfers, or would you suggest
> only 8.3 (and 8.4 as this proposal is written) transfers be included in
> the restriction?

That's a good point (not uncommon for ARIN staff). M&A transfers come
with infrastructure (they are not *just* the transfer of IP addresses)
and thus should not count against an organization wrt future
allocations, assignments, or transfers as long as they remain
efficiently utilized, properly registered in whois, etc.

Cheers,
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann