[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60months on 8.3 Specified Transfers (Owen DeLong)

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 20:11:58 EDT 2012

On 6/28/12, Blecker, Christoph <christoph.blecker at ubc.ca> wrote:
> Now you're all smart people, and I'm sure you very clearly realize this.
> However, attempting to strong-arm the community by saying that we will
> become irrelevant and open the internet to all sorts of problems if we don't
> submit to the will of the all-mighty market.. well it's just not the case.

Right...  ARIN is not an organization to "submit" to the market.
The ARIN community /is/ the market.    And the product of this market
is not "IP addresses" or number resources.  It is global
interconnectivity  over the Internet Protocol.

In order for that to be achieved,  there are some administrative rules
and some technical policies that the community agrees every network
has to adhere to,  for it to be achieved.

The fact that every network must have unique IP address space, is a
technical constraint, that has been imposed,  through the design of
the internet protocol.

The fact that every network must be registered is an administrative
requirement necessary to satisfy the technical constraints.

Anyone choosing to attempt to "side step" policy,  and  fail to meet
their registration requirements,  is also choosing  to not be globally
interconnected.

--
-J