[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-177 Revising Section 4.4 C/I Reserved Pool Size

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Jun 28 19:13:04 EDT 2012

I reached out to someone I know in the ICANN DSSA WG to confirm some of
my suspicions, since he pays more attention to that part of ICANN more
than I do.

So, I believe;

1. The number of allocations we will need to make should be driven much
more by the number of CI operators than the number of gTLDs themselves.

2.  There will likely be a number of new CI operators, probably
somewhere in the range of 10-100, not anywhere near the number of gTLD
that could be possible.

3. There will be a lot of additional business for the current CI
operators too, so some modest growth from current CI providers is
probably reasonable too.

4. This will likely occur over the next 15 to 40 months.

So, what ARIN policy conclusions do I draw from those;

1. We should probably reserve a bit more and drop the sunset.

2. Maybe we should clarify that we expect efficient operations even from
CI operators, like individual gTLDs and ccTLDs operated by the same CI
operator don't justify independent allocations, etc...  We need be
careful not to hamstring CI operators, but CI operators shouldn't be
given a blank check either.  What must CI operators provide to justify
CI allocations today?

So, I support the text as written.  And maybe we should consider if our
CI policy needs any additional work.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952