[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60 months on 8.3 Specified Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 28 16:41:42 EDT 2012

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 28, 2012, at 9:36, <jeffmehlenbacher at ipv4marketgroup.com> wrote:

> Owen, I appreciate your continued concern for the health of our business
> model.  However, your suggestion to wait for the free pool to run out
> (http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html) and then wait another
> 6-12 months to view partial statistics within ARIN and ignore all other
> statistical evidence outside of ARIN's statistical capture isn't
> terribly compelling is it?  Projecting free pool depletion and adding
> your outer limit of another 12 months might suggest we not touch 8.3
> justification duration until sometime 2014.  One might be accused of
> "head in the sand" thinking if the community embraced such a position
> while inter-RIR transfers are afoot between ARIN and APNIC in July 2012
> followed by ARIN and RIPE in September 2012.

If such transfers create enough of a market to have some statistical viability, I'm fine with looking earlier. My point is that the current lack of a vibrant market does not in and of itself represent a policy failure.  A vibrant market this early would, in fact indicate that the policy was too wide open.

> Again, in the here and now, I state based on our extensive dialogue with
> prospective buyers that there can be two categories of planners: those
> that will systematically continue to go to the 90-day well for free
> allocations and those, that if properly motivated by increasing the
> justification from 24 months to 60 months, will enter the 8.3 Specified
> Transfer market under ARIN policy.  If efficiently allocating unused
> IPv4 legacy resources via policy improvements on 8.3 specified transfers
> prolongs IPv4 utilization and defers IPv6 adoption, I empathize only
> with the people and organizations who base their business models on
> evangelistic trumpeting of all things IPv6 and comment on IPv4 transfer
> policy proposals on that basis.

I don't doubt that. The question, however is whether that would be good for the Internet.  Geoff Huston has an excellent presentation where he explains the dangers inherent in RIR runout skew. (different runout dates in the regions)

Indeed, a primary goal of the last 5 policy was to reduce that skew and narrow the time gap between various RIR runout dates. Unfortunately, hat policy had the somewhat opposite effect, compounded by the early trigger date in the three Month policy.

Making that even worse by encouraging the behavior you describe above could be very harmful, making CGN and NAT64 effectively permanent structures of the Internet.

Current local NAT is bad enough. Let's not deliberately make the situation even worse.

Owen