[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60 months on 8.3 Specified Transfers

jeffmehlenbacher at ipv4marketgroup.com jeffmehlenbacher at ipv4marketgroup.com
Thu Jun 28 06:05:10 EDT 2012

I understand your desire to sit tight and assess statistical evidence
before suggesting a longer justification period is required. My concern
with such a strategy is the decided lack of comprehensive transfer
market data.  We have only the ARIN Specified Transfer Listing Service
(STLS) and ARIN Statistics on 8.3 transfers (# Requested / # Completed).
 Is there another source you would consider useful to assess the
appropriateness of extending the 24 months justification period?

The STLS would suggest there is no market at all.  In 2012, there was an
update in February (a Facilitator was added) and two updates in June (a
Facilitator was removed and another added).  The last and only Seeker
(Needer/Buyer) was December 2011 and it was a post-facto pre-approval of
a public transaction in progress.  Only two Listers (Sellers) have ever
posted since November 2010...the most recent Lister being October 2011.
It may be safe to say the STLS is a vehicle that doesn't attract
interest and thus cannot be used as a reliable statistical measure for
the purpose of monitoring the appropriateness of the current
justification period.  Now, if we implemented 60 months justification
for a 1-year period and monitored uptake on the STLS for
Listers/Seekers, that might be evidence that longer justification
periods a) bring unused resources (listers) to market and b) bring
organizations with need (seekers) forward.

ARIN Statistics on 8.3 transfers further suggests the market is far from
vibrant: 24 requested in 2011; 12 requested 2012 year-to-date.  The
issue with these statistics is the limited insight one can glean.  Yes,
the number of completed transfers is published but it is a running total
and doesn't correspond directly, on a month to month basis, with the
number of transfers requested.  Further, we do not know anything about
the recipient organizations including block size requested, previous
ARIN customer or new ISP, ISP or End-User, size of last allocation from
the free pool...and most importantly, whether 24 months was too short a
window to obtain transfer approval.

So what statistical evidence will constitute success or failure of the
current 24-month justification period?

Jeff Mehlenbacher
IPv4 Market Group
Email: jeffmehlenbacher at ipv4marketgroup.com