[arin-ppml] Revisiting Section 4.4 Micro allocations for C/I

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 27 10:46:12 EDT 2012

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 27, 2012, at 9:43 AM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>>> Assumes that each gTLD requires a separate /23 to run nameservers.
>>> (many of them will likely be consolidated on the same servers,
>>> ala gtld-servers.net containing com+net).
>>
>> I'm still on the fence but I wonder if someone who can afford to pay..
>> how much was it again to ICANN? to get a new TLD can't acquire the IP
>> address block they need for an anycast server system on the open
>> market.
>
> The registration fee was ~$185,000, plus expenses and then of course
> the cost of your capital tied up in the process. I had some similar
> thinking while I was considering this. Why have a CI policy at all if
> we aren't going to treat them all equal?

Not expanding the reservation size to accommodate later additions is not a case of inequality. It is a limitation of resources.

Expanding this reservation involves preventing the addresses from being allocated/assigned to other uses without a clear case that it is necessary, I hesitate to do that.

Owen