[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60 months on 8.3 Specified Transfers

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 21:40:53 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Michael Sinatra
<michael+ppml at burnttofu.net> wrote:
> A few months ago, I floated the idea of extending the time horizon for 8.3
> transfers to 36 months.  The only comment I got back was an AC member
> (possibly speaking for himself only) making the valid point that we should
> see how things go at 24 months.  I agreed at the time.

As a shepherd for the current version of the policy, I advocated for
beyond 24 months initially. At that time, the effort to get the number
beyond 24 mos. was likely to be both draining and unproductive based
on the makeup and ideology of the ARIN Advisory Council. That has not
changed and it is likely to continue to be difficult based on my
current knowledge. Hopefully, I will be surprised.

In light of ARIN returning both legacy and NON legacy addresses to the
IANA, I would be supportive of a legacy resource holder distinction
and this proposal including the removing of a needs test. Keep a needs
test for community addresses in our pools, but end it for legacy
resources.

This is a good step towards fair and equitable treatment for "all"
ARIN region businesses.

Best,

-M<