[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 21 13:09:54 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:40 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>  I think we've covered this before, i.e. you probably want to
>  seek actual legal expertise rather than seeking my views
>  on your interpretations, yes?

Hi John,

I think I described at the outset of this conversation the conditions
under which I would escalate. For now, ARIN has neither entered the
disputed claim in to its formal documents nor to my knowledge taken
adverse action reliant on the disputed claim. So for now we're merely
having a public debate on proposal 174.

If you'll recall from the PDP, "The ARIN Board of Trustees adopts
draft policies [...] if the draft policies are consistent with [...]
the applicable laws and regulations." What with these being "common
law" countries, judicial precedent *is* law. So no, if you think
there's a better understanding of the plain language of the judge's
order, I would like to hear it from you. The same goes for Owen or
David or anyone else that has participated in this debate. Some views
may be better informed than others but they're all worth hearing.

IMO, prop 174 asks ARIN to wake a sleeping giant. I don't think that's
a winning proposition. As others in this forum consider their consent
or objection to the proposal, I'd like them to know what leads me to
the belief that it's a really poor idea.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004