[arin-ppml] Bankruptcy transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jun 21 07:37:17 EDT 2012

On Jun 20, 2012, at 11:31 PM, sandrabrown at ipv4marketgroup.com wrote:

> The Final Court Documents are published at
> http://dm.epiq11.com/NNI/Docket#Debtors=2414&RelatedDocketId=&ds=true&maxPerPage=25&page=1
> It is document 5315 and dated 04/26/2011.

That is just the final order document.  Let's be a little more precise -

Document 5315 is the final order document (04/26/2011)
Document 5283 is Industry Canada's removal of their objection based on
                 the revisions proposed by Microsoft and ARIN (04/20/2011)
Document 5280 is Nortel's reply to Industry Canada's objection (04/20/2011)
Document 5253 is Industry Canada's objection to the transfer (04/15/2011)
Document 5252 is the proposed Revised Order and Amended Purchase Agreement
                 redlines of same, and related documents (04/15/2011)

> Please note in the Asset Purchase Agreement at
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/51547565/Nortel-s-Chapter-11-Motion-for-the-Sale-of-Internet-Numbers
> that there is a reference to updating the POC but there is no mention or
> dependence on signing of an LRSA.

Sandra - However, the actual executed Amended Purchase Agreement
both references and depends on signing of an LRSA.  I would agree
that anyone interested in this case should please read the entire
set of documents to form their own opinions based on the guidance
of their own legal counsel.

Regarding the meaning of the ruling, one may find Nortel's own
reply (#5280) to Industry Canada's objection particularly lucid:

> "8. In the Statement, Industry Canada raises two purported objections to the Proposed Transaction: (i) that the Debtors claim to have a property interest in the Internet numbers, rather than a simple right of use, and (ii) that the Debtors contend that “legacy” numbers assigned before ARIN was established, like the Internet Numbers, are not subject to ARIN’s transfer restrictions.
>
> While the Debtors believe that each of those statements are correct, and are prepared to prove and defend each of those facts, in considering whether to approve the Amended Purchase Agreement and enter the Revised Order, the Court is not being asked to rule on either of these points.
>

> 9. First, under the Amended Sale Agreement NNI is proposing to transfer only the “Seller’s Rights” to the Internet Numbers, defined as “Seller’s exclusive right to use the Legacy Number Blocks, Seller’s exclusive right to transfer the Legacy Number Blocks, and any other legal and equitable rights the Seller may have in and to, the Legacy Number Blocks.” The Revised Order incorporates similar provisions.
>
> 10. Second, the revisions reflected in the Amended Sale Agreement and Revised Order were the result of negotiations between Microsoft, ARIN and NNI and, accordingly, ARIN’s counsel has informed NNI that it does not oppose entry of the Revised Order. "

By Nortel's own filing, the Court was not being asked to rule on the Nortel's
original claim of a property interest, nor Nortel's claim that legacy numbers
are not subject to ARIN's transfer restrictions, as these were claims were
removed from the revised filings.

The Amended Sale Agreement (and Revised Order) instead only transfers Nortel's
Rights; these changes were the results of negotiations between Microsoft, ARIN,
and Nortel, and accordingly ARIN did not oppose entry of the revised order.

Industry Canada's objection #5283 is also enlightening, even if not germane
to determination of any alleged 'precedent setting nature' of this transfer.
(Parties may also want to review some of the other bankruptcy cases involving
IP number resources, as they have much more explicit language per Steve Ryan's
BNA article; see my attached earlier email on this topic)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO