[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 20 20:28:46 EDT 2012

On Jun 20, 2012, at 2:48 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Astrodog <astrodog at gmx.com> wrote:
>> To make your analogy more... analogous to the situation with ARIN...
>>
>> Lets say the post office won't send mail to your house unless it is listed
>> in the directory...
>> and lets say no one else can find your house unless it is listed in the
>> directory...
>
> Hi Harrison,
>
> Your postal address is assigned through an odd combination of
> developers' whimsy and municipal government function. The developer
> generally picks the street name, the municipality picks the house
> number. The address assignment is usually free, never has a recurring
> cost and is effectively irrevocable once assigned. It conveys to the
> next owner without further oversight by the directory authority.

Patently false.

1. Streets do occasionally get renumbered and when that happens,
	your old house number is, in fact revoked and you are issued a
	new one.

2.	Streets do occasionally get renamed. IBID.

3.	The address assignment is, in fact only sort of free if you don't consider
	the deed recording cost a factor. Personally, I believe that since part of
	the deed recording fees cover maintenance of the registry, it is, in
	part, a fee for the address registration.

4.	The address does not convey to the next owner without oversight by
	the directory authority. That is what the combination of deed recording,
	title insurance, etc. are. They are oversight by the registry authority.

Nice try, but Bzzzzt! Thank you for playing.

Owen