[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 20 14:46:56 EDT 2012

On Jun 20, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [Milton L Mueller] this is logical enough on its own terms. The problem is that ARIN can contractually require members under an RSA to undergo a needs assessment, and it cannot require that of legacy holders.

Milton - If we're going to keep the discussion on what makes for good
policy in the various proposals, it would be helpful if you would also
refrain from "verbal assertion of authority over an issue that is legally
and politically contested."  i.e. In this particular case, it is clear
that ARIN _can_ require any party to conform to community policy before
changing the number resource registration in the registry.  How that
conflates with your statement above is still contested, so it would be
best to instead argue for the inclusion or omission of need-basis for
transfers based on its own policy merits or concerns (if we are indeed
to follow your advice.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran