[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

Michael Sinatra michael+ppml at burnttofu.net
Wed Jun 20 13:33:11 EDT 2012

On 6/19/12 2:12 PM, Morizot Timothy S wrote:
>> John Curran wrote: On Jun 19, 2012, at 4:40 PM, David Farmer
>> wrote:

>>> Is the concept completely an non-starter and unreasonable?
>>
>> We have offered lower fees for legacy resource holders, and have
>> provided them with an explicit waiver of reclamation due to lack of
>> use (both of these are in the present LRSA agreement)
>
> It's likely the governmental and educational legacy users have a
> different perspective, but I don't personally understand what's
> objectionable in the LRSA. We didn't find anything in it
> objectionable and signed it primarily to make the waiver John
> mentions explicit rather than implicit. And before anything gets
> signed here, a lot of people in procurement and other areas, often
> including legal assessment, have to review it to make sure we are not
> obligating the agency to anything we shouldn't be.

My current employer, ESnet, a government-funded R&E network, signed the
LRSA.  (We also have resources covered under regular RSA.)  I don't know
how difficult it was, as most of it was shepherded by my predecessor,
Kevin Oberman.

My previous employer, UC Berkeley, has not signed the LRSA.  The main
issue was the difficulty of getting on the general counsel's docket to
review.  If there's not an immediate legal issue at hand, things seem to
get shifted to the back burner.  There was an effort to get a UC
systemwide review of the LRSA a few years ago, and I don't know where
that went.  (Note that ESnet is operated as part of Lawrence Berkeley
National Lab by UC as under contract with US DOE.)

For me, it hasn't been an issue of dissatisfaction with the LRSA, it has
been inability (and probably some laziness on my part) to get general
counsel to review it when there are other legal fires to put out.

michael