[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Jun 20 13:30:23 EDT 2012

[Milton L Mueller] this is logical enough on its own terms. The problem is that ARIN can contractually require members under an RSA to undergo a needs assessment, and it cannot require that of legacy holders.

So, are you implying that the purpose of refusing to update registration records for legacy transfers would be to discourage, or perhaps even prevent, such transfers from taking place? In other words, in the absence of a contract, use the leverage afforded by the registry update to make the legacy holder behave the way ARIN wants it to behave?

I view that as creating risk without achieving much value. Legacy holders and buyers intent upon transferring resources without needs assessments will find a way to do so anyway. But refusing to update the listing causes a number of problems that affect anyone.

Moreover, I fail to see what ARIN really loses by simply allowing those legacy holders to do what they want and updating its records regardless.  Most transfers will still occur under 8.3. Note also that several actors in the trading space have voluntarily signed LRSAs as part of a legacy transfer, when ARIN appealed to them to do so. It is likely that many others would follow suit.

What is gained by forcing the issue?