[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jun 20 00:04:17 EDT 2012

On 6/19/12 22:25 CDT, William Herrin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 2012, at 11:11 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>>> New registrations John. *New* registrations.
>>
>>   Despite your assertion, that is not the case.
>
> See Randy Bush's 1997 presentation to FNCAC (Federal Networking
> Council Advisory Committee) seeking approval for ARIN. Pay close
> attention to the last bullet on slide 9.
>
> http://archive.psg.com/970414.fncac.pdf
>
> That's what folks were promised John.

Would you agree that the policies that are referred to in the slide deck
are best represented by RFC 2050?  Given RFC 2050 is dated Nov 1996 and
the slide deck is dated Apr 1997, do we agree that is reasonable?  If
not RFC 2050, then what?

RFC 2050, Section 3.1 last paragraph;

     IP addresses are valid as long as the criteria continues to be met.
    The IANA reserves the right to invalidate any IP assignments once it
    is determined the the requirement for the address space no longer
    exists.  In the event of address invalidation, reasonable efforts
    will be made by the appropriate registry to inform the organization
    that the addresses have been returned to the free pool of IPv4
    address space.

To me this says assignments are revocable for cause.  So, I don't think
it is reasonable to limit it only to new registrations.

And, I bet even Randy doesn't think that means they would never ever
change at all.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952