[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jun 19 17:10:37 EDT 2012

On Jun 19, 2012, at 5:01 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Given that ARIN has no contract with legacy holders, it is perfectly reasonable to conclude that ARIN's authority over them is limited.
> If ARIN's authority is under question, you do not create legitimate authority simply by asserting it. Yet this proposed policy makes a unilateral and arbitrary assertion of authority over resources held by people over which ARIN has no contractual or other legal authority. You may as well assert that ARIN has authority over my house, ISP routing policies, website content,  whatever.

The counterpoint being the legacy address holders have no contract
with ARIN, and therefore no authority over the registry entries.

ARIN was formed specifically for the purpose of providing a voice
to address holders in policy formation for the management of IP
addresses in the region.

So, address holders don't get a "policy-free-zone" for their IP
registrations, but instead a forum and process for developing the
policies that apply.

Legacy holders who simply wish to use their resources can just
continue to do so, and can optionally enter in the LRSA if they
want contractual assurances of same.  However, if you really do
want to do something different with your resources (like transfer
them to another party) then you need to get involved in the policy
development process.

FYI,
/John

John Curran