[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Jun 19 13:59:29 EDT 2012

Hi,

Several people have asked questions, some politer than others.

Some examples with quick answers

- Who am I to have such a selfish attitude.

What can I say?
A cranky old person who did my first networking code in the late 80's early 90's - though these days does mostly policy cruft.

- Where did I get them

Postel assigned them to me when I had a small contracting effort.  Used them for a number of years until my ISP was acquired and then found the new guys would not route them any longer.

- Why dont I use them

I would like to.  I still have a small consulting effort and would love to be able to use these instead of being forced to do NAT. But NAT works, sort of, so I only get riled up about with I see coercive langauge.  This has, incidentally convinced me of the importance of NAT (including for IPv6 where you all have the complete control you are trying to achieve in IPv4).  Sooner or later someone is going to say you can't have the addresses you want becasue you did not follow some rule or other to the letter.  Better make sure you have NAT when that happens. But I digress.  If I could get them routed, I would use them.

- Why can't you get them Routed?

My ISP won't route them becasue they are not propoerly assinged by ARIN. Or so they say.
ARIN is going to take them away unless I sign over to ARIN

This seems coercive to me, and I hate it when governments are coercive.
I hate it even more when non governments, asserting their own power ,over me are coercive

- Why don't I trust ARIN

I have been getting coercive sounding email telling me what i MUST do on this subject for many years.
I have never been able to get assistance on this, even during the days when I bothered to try.

There has never been a consideration of me as a stakeholder who might have something to say on how they treated an assignment I was given before they existed.

I beleive in multistakeolder organizations, and I do not think ARIN acts like one.

I also find it rather offensive that instead of dealing with the people and organizations that might be disagreeing with ARIN policies, you have decided to define them out of existence by spinning it as just a database issue.  For that reason I find ARIN-PROP-172 incredibly offensive and hope it is not approved by the pwoers that be.

- Do I  really think I can win this

Of course not.  ARIN is big and strong and I am just one small insignificant voice.
But that does not mean I am not going to try.

I am just explaining why I have become a foe of an RIR sysytem that seems to be dictatorial and especially of ARIN as the RIR I need to deal with. I am also explaining why, within Internet goverance circles, I would not be able to defend the multistakeholder nature of ARIN and wonder.

cheers,