[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jun 19 08:56:57 EDT 2012

On Jun 19, 2012, at 4:03 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

> As one of those legacy holders, I do not see what authority ARIN has with regards to those resources at all.  I recognize neither your authority to force me to sign an agreement, not to expropriate those addresses assigned to me by those who came before you. And whether I am using them at a moment in time or not, does not seem relevant.

Avri -

 Your resources are unique with respect to others only
 because they are assigned to you within the Internet
 Registry System. You gain the benefit of this unique
 registration, but it comes with obligations as well.

 ARIN doesn't seek to "force you to sign an agreement"
 but does require you to comply with whatever policies
 the community develops regarding the registry.  This
 means that if, for example, new policies require that
 you have an abuse contact in your registration, then
 that becomes required for participation in the registry.

 Your resources were assigned to you as part of a system,
 and it's up to your if you wish to continue to be part
 of that system and its policies.  If you choose not to
 participate, then just realize that the community of
 global service providers who do participate will expect
 that the  number resources in the registry will be
 reissued to another party, and have set policies for
 running the registry to that effect.

FYI,
/John

John Curran