[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 18 21:32:50 EDT 2012

On Jun 18, 2012, at 6:08 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> On 6/18/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> ARIN is the Internet number registry for the region and ARIN
>> policies apply to all number resources in the ARIN registry.
>
> I would suggest something like, er:
>
> 4.6.7    All ARIN listed resources are subject to Number resource policies
>    Number policies apply equally to all resources in the ARIN
> registry, including legacy
>    allocations made by previous registries which are placed under
> administration of ARIN.
>
>    ARIN requires a signed RSA for all resources listed in the ARIN
> number registry,
>    and also as a requirement for the privilege of transferring,
> reassigning, or reallocating any number resource..
>
>    ARIN will list legacy allocations and resources not compliant with
> the signed RSA requirement in the ARIN WHOIS directory,
>    only on a best-effort basis, and may label such entries as
> Non-Compliant  or Non-Validated Resource.
>
>    ARIN will accept contact information update requests for
> non-compliant resources that ARIN is able to verify,
>    and maintain WHOIS listings for non-compliant resources until such
> time as the registration is
>    removed, revoked, or brought into compliance, or ARIN is shown
> proof that listed WHOIS information
>    is inaccurate,  invalid, not a responsive contact, not the right
> contact,  or a new attempt
>    by the non-compliant resource holder to transfer, repurpose, or
> delegate any portion of the resource has been attempted, without
> contacting ARIN to request approval.
>

>    ARIN may remove assignments of non-compliant number resources upon
> finding evidence that the resource is abandoned or unused
>    for a period of 3 months or longer, if there is no signed RSA, and
> after reasonable efforts
>    to contact a resource holder have been attempted and failed,  or
> if contact is made, and a
>    resource holder fails to sign the RSA within 30 days.

As much as I like this, I think that it goes a little too far and creates an unnecessary legal burden for ARIN.

If you deleted everything after the last or in the last sentence, I would support as written.

I recommend submitting to policy as a proposal template. Let me know if you'd like assistance filling out the template.

Owen