[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Jun 18 19:54:56 EDT 2012

On 6/18/12 18:47 CDT, John Springer wrote:
> I am replying to Dan AND David, but I am going to pick on one of David's
> statements down below.
>
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, David Farmer wrote:
>

>> On 6/18/12 11:29 CDT, Alexander, Daniel wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I know this proposal has been thoroughly discussed, so I'm not trying to
>>> pile onto comments already made. This note is simply to explain my
>>> reasoning as an AC member why I will be voting against this proposal as
>>> written.
>
> Quite a bit of game left on this one, but I agree with you so far. Opposed.
>
>> As currently written I agree with you.  But I think Scott's suggested
>> changes fixes most of my objections and I believe this proposal could
>> lead to useful policy with those changes.
>
> <snip Dan>
> <snip David>
>
>> While I wish there were no distinctions between legacy and non-legacy
>> resources, realistically I think there are at least a few practical
>> distinctions.  As has been pointed out by several people in the
>> discussion, the contract issue is a big distinction, and some feel
>> that is only practical distinction.

>> I feel there is another distinction, there is no mechanism in policy
>> or contract to recover address space from defunct organizations with
>> legacy resources, unless someone else commits resource fraud and start
>> using them.
>

> IANAL, like a lot of other folks on this list with that property, but I
> do have to ask the question re: the above emphasized statement: Really?
>
> I'm pretty sure there are valid contracts (verbal and otherwise) for
> which there is no document. When I got my IANAL certificate, I thought I
> knew that a valid contract required only an exchange of consideration
> and assent by both parties.

OK you got me, I misspoke or was speaking to loosely; Yes, I agree there
are informal agreements, not written agreements, I made much the same
point over the weekend.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952