[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Alexander, Daniel Daniel_Alexander at Cable.Comcast.com
Mon Jun 18 18:02:34 EDT 2012

David,

I think you are missing my point. All the differences you mention below
whether a resource is under LRSA, reclaimable, fees, etc. are all
differences in the agreements that ARIN has with the resource holder as to
the services offered. These points are separate from what the ones and
zeros translate to.

Even Scott's language contains "A legacy resource is an IPv4 address or
Autonomous System Number...." which tries to define a special class of IP
resources. ARIN policy defines different types of users and different
conditions by which services are offered. It does not define address
resources. It may sound like I'm splitting hairs, but I think it is a big
one when you try and put it in the definitions section of the policy
manual.

ARIN was given administration over the IP resources as they were defined
by the IETF and delegated by IANA. If you want to refer to what people are
calling "legacy resources" as the ARIN registration that someone is
holding without contract, that is one thing. If you are saying that
special rights are granted to the series of ones and zeros that were
assigned prior to the formation of ARIN, it is a different discussion.

Also, I never suggested the advantages of silence or a lack of distinction
that you mention below. I'm not sure where you got that from my comments.

-Dan