[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPMSection2 - Legacy Resources

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Jun 14 21:39:34 EDT 2012

On 6/14/12 16:54 CDT, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 6/14/2012 8:39 PM, David Farmer wrote:
>>
>> So it might be worth discussing if an 8.2 transfer removes the Legacy
>> status from resources or not, but it seems clear to me that 8.3
>> transfers do.
>
> Right. And what we do know from discussions on this list many months ago
> (which isn't everything) of the Microsoft-Nortel transaction is that the
> recipient was able to sign a LRSA and not "The RSA". This is why I put
> forth a proposal at that time to clarify "RSA" to mean "any RSA" and not
> "the one and only unmodified RSA".
>
> So *something* was "Legacy" about the transfer.

I think the problem with your proposal was that it dealt with the
business issues of what  contracts ARIN should execute and didn't deal
with the problem as a policy issue.

The High Level Plan I sent out and what got started the discussion of
172 is to create policy that defines what Legacy is and how it flows,
etc...  Leaving the business issue of contracts to legal counsel, staff,
and the board.  We need to deal with it in the policy realm and not the
contract and business realm.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952