[arin-ppml] High Level Plan for Clarifying Legacy Resource Policy

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Jun 14 20:10:17 EDT 2012

 From the discussions we have had I thought it might be a good idea to
put down a high level plan for clarifying Legacy Resource Policy.  What
does the community think?

It is providing in an outline form, dashed items are my initial comments

Is there anything missing?

There seems to be little community support for eliminating or waving
needs assessment for recipients of transfer of resources Legacy or
otherwise.  So, I'm not sure those part of 171 are useful to create
policy that can gain consensus.  I'll leave at that an not comment more.

------

A. Define Legacy Resources

- I believe 172 with Scott's mods is a good start on this

B. Policies applies to all resources allocated by ARIN or one of its
predecessor registries, unless transferred to the control of another RIR.

- I think this is a given from NRPM Section 1.  But should be clearly
stated and probably just added as a clarification to Section 1.

C. Legacy Resources will not be reclaimed solely for lack of use

- Essentially already policy via the LRSA terms, lets just clearly make
it policy.  Probably should go in a new Legacy Resource Section.

D. ARIN needs a clear policy mechanism to reclaim Legacy Resources from
defunct organization that are not otherwise covered by a signed RSA or
LRSA, resources covered by RSA or LRSA have such a mechanism,
non-payment of fees results in recovery. This needs proper protections,
like commercially reasonable efforts to find a successor organization or
a trustee of its estate, etc...  NOTE: However, all resource holders
have allows had a clear obligation to maintain valid POC information.
So at one level it is an organizations responsibility to remain
contactable by ARIN.

-  This will be a lot of work, but we GOT to do it.  We've needed to do
it for a long while.  Probably should go in a new Legacy Resource Section.

E. Chain of Custody Validation

-  This needs some work but whats in 171 might be a starting point.
Probably should go in a new Legacy Resource Section.

F. M&A transfers (8.2) maintain legacy status

- I think Marc's proposal is a good start on this, but I make comment in
that thread

G. Other transfers (8.3) do not maintain legacy status

- Could be added to Marc's proposal or could be a new one.  But it
should be clearly stated.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952