[arin-ppml] New Policy Proposal - Revisions to M&A Transfer Requirements under 8.2

Lindsey, Marc mlindsey at lb3law.com
Thu Jun 14 19:23:53 EDT 2012

Hello Scott:

You asked about the following sentence in my proposal: If the transfer request pertains to legacy numbers, the transfer shall not be contingent upon the new entity signing an RSA, LRSA or any other form of written agreement with ARIN.

Your specific questions were:

With respect to my proposed sentence above, you asked: "What do you have in mind here that would fit under "any ... form of written agreement with ARIN"?  I presume this would only apply if ARIN chooses to develop or negotiate such agreements.  Are you envisioning that ARIN should create a new agreement separate from the LRSA?  If so, what kind of agreement would that be?"

Yes - sort of.  My primary purpose for the sentence is to make the point that, as a matter of policy and not operations, no written agreements would be required to cause an update to the WHOIS database for M&A transfers involving legacy numbers.  This would apply regardless of whether the agreement was in the form of the RSA, LRSA or any future variant/alternative form agreement.   I'm not, with this proposal, suggesting that ARIN create a new agreement; But I'm anticipating that could happen.  I also noticed an ambiguity that I should fix with a new version.

-Marc Lindsey