[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPMSection 2 - Legacy Resources

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 14 13:34:37 EDT 2012

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 14, 2012, at 1:01 PM, "Mike Burns" <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

>> Grandfather Clause status is rarely transferable from an entity which holds
>> it
>
>> If the argument is that needs requirements in transfers are not beneficial
>> in general, while I'm personally sympathetic to that position, I believe
>> that particular battle has already been fought and lost. Are you proposing
>> another run at it?
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I think these "grandfather clause" exceptions enjoyed by legacy holders ARE
> legally transferable, per Nortel selling Bay Network's address space without
> any extant agreement between ARIN and Nortel.

1. I'm not convinced that there really are exceptions, per se.

2. To the extent that a grandfathered exception does apply, it may be transferrable under section 8.2. However, it does not apply to transfers under 8.3.

> Secondly, I watched this presentation at NANOG54, but couldn't tell what the
> temperature in the room was towards treating legacy addresses as property.
> http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog54/presentations/Monday/NANOG_54_02_Keynote_ipv4.wmv
>
> My feeling is that maybe it is time for another run at removing the needs
> test for legacy transfers, as the last run was an attempt to remove the
> needs test from all transfers, not just legacy.

I would oppose creating legacy-specific transfer policy. There is no need for it, it is not justified, and the community would be harmed.

Owen