[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPMSection 2 - Legacy Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jun 14 13:17:25 EDT 2012

On Jun 14, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> I think these "grandfather clause" exceptions enjoyed by legacy holders ARE
> legally transferable, per Nortel selling Bay Network's address space without
> any extant agreement between ARIN and Nortel.

That's an very interesting conclusion, given that ARIN was present & concurred
with the transfer (which we did because the recipient met requirements and had
already entered into an registration agreement with ARIN), but it wouldn't be
the first time someone has tried to assert such.  Current practice has shown
it to be otherwise; no transfers have occurred without meeting community policy.

> My feeling is that maybe it is time for another run at removing the needs
> test for legacy transfers, as the last run was an attempt to remove the
> needs test from all transfers, not just legacy.

If your assertion is correct, then no policy change is needed, instead one
simply pursues those legal rights that you feel they already hold.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO