[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 13 01:03:53 EDT 2012

On Jun 12, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> [Milton L Mueller] There is really less disagreement here than meets the eye.

:-)

> [Milton L Mueller] ..
>
> Perhaps the only point where we differ is that I believe it is advisable for ARIN and other RIRs to concentrate almost exclusively on the registry function and pave the way for competition and diversity in post-allocation services, which means that they should be open to figuring out a way to interact with other registrars, and that means being totally devoted to actually listing who uniquely holds an address block and not making that listing contingent upon maintaining control of various things or conformity to ancillary policies.

We might have some disagreement regarding the 'appropriate holder of
an address block', but setting that detail aside, ARIN can indeed
operate the registry without "conformity to ancillary policies",
if the community removes such policies.  It's not a direction that
can otherwise be pursued, so your advice should really be directed
to the ARIN community not "ARIN" (implying the organization itself)

> [Milton L Mueller] Do you really mean 'can' it be? If so, yes, with appropriate changes in U.S. law or ICANN rules, ARIN _can_ be so compelled. But I don't think anyone here is advocating that ARIN should be compelled to do so by some external force. I think people are saying - within this process - that it would be good policy to do so, and that ARIN _should_ adopt such a policy.

Change "ARIN" to "community" (or even "ARIN community", if you want
a less amorphous term) and there is some agreement here.

> [Milton L Mueller] Again, I thought we were debating what ARIN policy should be, not whether ARIN should follow its own policies. Correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Put differently, you don't justify the rejection of a proposed ARIN policy by reiterating that ARIN has the right to follow its own policies. The real debate is about what the policy should be! As long as people are working within the ARIN process to change the policy, they are recognizing that ARIN's actions are guided by its own policies.

Again, agreement.  It is indeed an interesting day.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO