[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jun 12 10:27:21 EDT 2012

On 6/12/12 08:54 CDT, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

If you are going to assert that Legacy Resource Holders have rights
(property or otherwise) that are not codified in any written agreement
either, then it is only reasonable to recognize that ARIN as the
successor to the entities that assigned the resources to them has some
authorities as well.

However, it is clear at least to me, that both Legacy Resource holders
have rights and ARIN has authorities. To say that ARIN has no authority
is equally as wrong to say that Legacy, and other resource holders for
that matter, have no rights.

See, the third paragraph of section 3.1 of RFC 2050;

    IP addresses are valid as long as the criteria continues to be met.
    The IANA reserves the right to invalidate any IP assignments once it
    is determined the the requirement for the address space no longer
    exists.  In the event of address invalidation, reasonable efforts
    will be made by the appropriate registry to inform the organization
    that the addresses have been returned to the free pool of IPv4
    address space.

This defines both some of the rights and the authorities in question.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952