[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 7 17:42:48 EDT 2012

On 6/7/12, Bill Sandiford <bill at telnetcommunications.com> wrote:
> So just out of curiosity, and certainly not proposing this, would do you
> expect the outcome would be if the community passed a policy that stated
> that ARIN would no longer maintain registrations in its databases for
> registrants with which no contract exists?

Hi Bill,

Assuming the Board lost its collective mind and the membership allowed
it to happen...

1. Someone or several someones (possibly including me) would set up
unofficial "legacy whois" servers whose only purpose is to document
the legacy registrations. Some few ISPs might play along with ARIN,
but most would consult one or a few of the legacy databases when
determining whether to route a customer's addresses.

2. Sued by the class of legacy registrants, ARIN would NOT be
compelled to provide services to folks who are not under contract,
past courtesies notwithstanding. But see #4...

3. Granting declaratory relief, the same court would enjoin ARIN from
reissuing legacy space to new recipients or reporting that the blocks
are in use by anyone other than the original registrants.

4. ARIN's primacy over RDNS for the legacy /8's would be challenged,
in some combination of court and administrative proceedings with DOC.
Bet on ARIN blinking first. With contracted registrants in the same
/8's; ARIN has more to lose. After #3 it won't be worth the fight.

In short, it would fracture the registry ultimately leaving someone
other than ARIN responsible for documenting the legacy space. At least
that's what it looks like in my crystal ball.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004