[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Jun 7 14:11:49 EDT 2012

On 07-Jun-12 10:15, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> We don't need to debate whether consensus exists or not.
> When it comes to legacy resources, community consensus is irrelevant. A company without a contract has no legal or any other kind of obligation to ARIN consensus processes.

True, but in return, the community has no legal obligation to provide
slots in the community's (i.e. ARIN's) registration database if legacy
registrants do not sign a contract for that service, which in turn
obligates them to follow (most of) the community's rules.  Establishing
such obligations, in both directions, is the entire point of contracts.

To date, the community has graciously provided free slots in its
database as long as legacy registrants voluntarily follow the
community's rules, but that could end at any time if the community gets
sufficiently annoyed by freeloading legacy registrants' bogus claims of
entitlement and exceptionality.

The squeaky wheel doesn't get oiled; it gets replaced.