[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jun 5 22:28:07 EDT 2012

On Jun 5, 2012, at 6:50 PM, <admin at directcolocation.com>
 <admin at directcolocation.com> wrote:

> I for one like seeing input like this on here as it give anyone that may
> have an interest in seeing a different point of view that may not be seen
> if submitted thru the suggestion process, as I have a ton of work to keep
> up with already trying to keep up with all of this and considering that
> fact that Marc has a background in the legal area it may give all of us
> insight as to other ways to get things done in a more expeditious way.
>
> This is of course considering the fact the community would like to avoid
> any possible legal issues that could arise from any omission of
> possibilities that may exist in which a Legacy holder may have performed
> some sort of transaction prior to all the language that is trying to be
> placed upon the original legacy holder (or its legal successor or assign)
> after the fact.
>
> If we allow this to be done then the potential for expensive legal battles
> may ensue in the future in which the original legacy holder (or its legal
> successor or assign) would do if placed in a situation that may harm there
> Legacy IPV4 future status or rights, considering that as we know it, to
> date IPV6 is not the end all solution to the IPV4 depletion issue at this
> time, and if it was, then I am sure none of these type messages would even
> be a topic of the community.
>
> So I personally am applauding Marc's efforts here and do think it is
> important to make sure the attempt to get it right as I am not an attorney
> and do not want to try to be one, so thank you Marc for your input and
> trying to help in anyway you can from the knowledge you offer the
> community on this input.

Donald -

 I suggested Marc use the suggestion process only because he appeared
 to be suggesting changes to ARIN's operational procedures rather than
 actual number resource policy.  Note that all suggestions received
 are visible and available for comment in the suggestion process, and
 there was no intent of minimizing the ability for community input on
 his suggestions.  I do believe that the community should discuss what
 standard should be used in the return of blocks going forward, but
 that might be a different question than the present topic of defining
 legacy address space.  This is particularly true because address blocks
 in the early days of the Internet via a variety of means (including by
 phone, fax, and email) and we cannot redefine the processes in the past
 (e.g. those used by Jon or SRI-NIC) via definitions in the present day.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO