[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 5 16:58:30 EDT 2012

On 6/5/12, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> This works for me.
>
> Anyone else have a constructive suggestion before I submit a final
> revision?
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Lindsey, Marc <mlindsey at lb3law.com> wrote:
>> A legacy resource is an IPv4 address or Autonomous System Number that
>> satisfies both of the following two criteria:
>>

>> (1)    it was issued to an entity (other than a Regional Internet
>> Registry)
>> or individual (the “original legacy holder”) prior to ARIN's inception on
>> Dec 22, 1997 either by an organization authorized by the United States to
>> perform the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (“IANA”) functions or an
>> Internet Registry; and

Borrowing from wikipedia: "IANA was established informally as a
reference to various technical functions for the ARPANET, that Jon
Postel and Joyce K. Reynolds performed at UCLA and at the University
of Southern California's Information Sciences Institute."

Informally. As in not under specific contractual authority. Someone
needed to do it so Jon stepped up. Later on it was formalized.

Unless you actually want to limit the definition of legacy addresses
to those issues between the SRI NIC to the NSI InterNIC, be *less*
specific here with a catchall.

>> (2)    it has not been returned to a Regional Internet Registry under a
>> binding written agreement between the original legacy holder (or its
>> legal
>> successor or assign) and the RIR for subsequent allocation and
>> assignment in
>> accordance with such RIR’s number resource policies and membership (or
>> service) agreements.

What about stuff like the Kremen addresses?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004