[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jun 5 16:56:52 EDT 2012

On 6/5/12 15:39 CDT, David Farmer wrote:
> On 6/5/12 15:12 CDT, Lindsey, Marc wrote:
>> Owen – I’m not up to the task of convincing you to change your beliefs
>> about the nature of the rights (or lack of rights) embodied in legacy
>> numbers. I will simply point out that the proposed policy at issue
>> (i.e., establishing a definition for legacy resources) is itself an
>> acknowledgment that there is, in practice, a meaningful distinction
>> between legacy and non-legacy numbers.
>>
>> I accept the constructive criticism regarding the structure of my
>> proposed revision to the definition. I’ve restated it below in a way
>> that, hopefully, is more readable:
>>
>> A legacy resource is an IPv4 address or Autonomous System Number that
>> satisfies both of the following two criteria:
>>
>> (1)it was issued to an entity (other than a Regional Internet Registry)
>> or individual (the “original legacy holder”) prior to ARIN's inception
>> on Dec 22, 1997 either by an organization authorized by the United
>> States to perform the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (“IANA”)
>> functions or an Internet Registry; and
>
> Yep, I understand and agree with this part.
>
>> (2)it has not been returned to a Regional Internet Registry under a
>> binding written agreement between the original legacy holder (or its
>> legal successor or assign)and the RIR for subsequent allocation and
>> assignment in accordance with such RIR’s number resource policies and
>> membership (or service) agreements.
>
> I think I agree with this, but have a question. Someone who has legacy
> addresses by clause 1, that intends to keep the addresses for their use
> and HAS signed the LRSA, are these Legacy Addresses or not per clause 2?
> I think they are still Legacy Addresses by that clause, but it is still
> a little fuzzy to me by that wording.

Looking at this more, there also seems to be an implication in clause 2
that legacy addresses can only be returned by written agreement.
Whether or not that should be the case that seems like a policy issue,
not something that should be in a definition.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952