[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-5: Removal of Renumbering Requirement for Small Multihomers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jul 31 00:27:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Draft Policy ARIN-2012-5
> Removal of Renumbering Requirement for Small Multihomers
>
> ARIN STAFF ASSESSMENT
>
>   A. ARIN Staff Comments
>
> The original intent of NRPM 4.3.6.3 was to conserve routing table slots.
> However, statistics have shown that NRPM 4.3.6.3 has rarely been used and
> that most small multi-homers have not come back to ARIN for additional
> space.  Therefore, it doesn't seem to be contributing anything significant
> toward its original goal.

Something is fishy with this reasoning. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh, I know what it is. It's like deciding to leave the capital in
Philadelphia after all once debt assumption is complete because
really, what good comes of building a whole new city in the middle of
a swamp.

The assessment looks at the issue cockeyed. I'd like to see what the
rate of successful return for additional addresses is for both /24
holders and /22 holders. If the difference is trivially small, leave
the compromise the hell alone.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004