[arin-ppml] New Policy Proposal

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 22:18:44 EDT 2012

On 7/27/12, Peter Rocca <rocca at start.ca> wrote:

This situation should fall under  4.2.3.4.2;  allocations for
downstream ISPs, without additional special rules.  I am not in favor
of giving  some ISPs  a blank check on utilization, by automatically
considering their usage justified,  as soon as they designated IPs for
their equipment.

As an LIR / registration authority creating sub-delegations from ARIN
allocated resources, the "TPIA" provider (or whatever it's called)
should be required to maintain their sub-delegations contact records,
and maintain the documentation of usage, and  that the subdelegations
are efficiently used, based on a utilization criterion  in compliance
with policy,  as any other LIR has to do.

> The high-level overview is that the allocation is routed to the TPIA
> provider who then carves it up into smaller blocks and routes them to
> different 'serving areas' which are geographical groupings of CMTS's. Those
> serving areas then have smaller DHCP pools (generally /27's or /28's)
> assigned at the node level. End-users are assigned IP's from the DHCP of the
> node they are served by. Once the space is provided to the TPIA provider the
> ISP no longer has control over the routing, renumbering or specific
> assignments within the TPIA network.
[snip]

--
-JH