[arin-ppml] Petition for advancement of Policy Proposal #168

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Fri Jul 27 10:08:22 EDT 2012

Owen DeLong wrote:
> Current policy provides for requestors to get a 16 bit AS number until we run out of them.
>
> At that point, no amount of policy will change the fact that we are out of 16 bit AS numbers.

No we are not. ARIN has stated that they are actually at steady state
with in and out of 16bit.

I want ARIN to assign 32bit by default so that 16bit supply is more assured.

> You'll need to explain how it does that. As near as I could tell, if you had a affinity for any number, 16 or 32 bit, you could request it if it was available and there was nothing specific about 32-bit ASNs in the proposal to justify the above claim.

Nobody has any affinity for any number larger then 65536?

>> Further, the proposal gives ARIN eyes, ears and a voice into the inner workings of why people want the numbers they do and dont want the numbers they dont.
> How do you figure that? It doesn't require anyone to provide that information to ARIN in the process of justifying their request.

"

5.2.2 Requests

An organization may request from ARIN either a specific AS Number or
type of AS Number, if available to ARIN. The organization must document
to ARIN's satisfaction technical or real world justification for its
request. ARIN may review the data directly with all involved parties.
"

>> This is something ARIN does not have now.
> Nor is it actually part of the proposed policy from what I read.
>
> Owen

I would hate to think that the AC abandoned a proposal without reading it.

Best,

Joe