[arin-ppml] Petition for advancement of Policy Proposal #168

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Thu Jul 19 15:26:48 EDT 2012

All,

Policy Proposal #168 Promote 4byte ASN Usage, was intended to deal with
the lack of uptake of 4byte ASN as well as the continued demand for
2byte ASN.

It does so by expanding on the capabilities of both the community and
ARIN with regards to ASN policy.

I believe that more discussion on this topic is warranted. ARIN Staff
said as much at previous PPM and I was hoping that this proposal would
help do that.

As such, the AC's abandonment of this proposal was disappointing to me.

While it may not be as compelling and controversial as some of the
topics swirling through the list these days, ASN policy is important,
disproportionately so, to the newcomers of our community.

I formally petition you, the members of this community, for your support
in advancing to draft policy status the proposal and for it to be
discussed at an upcoming ARIN Public Policy meeting.

I ask you for statements in support of this petition.

The full policy proposal text is available at

http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2012-May/024892.html

Best and my thanks,

Joe