[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-178 Regional Use of Resources

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Mon Jul 16 14:48:32 EDT 2012

Owen DeLong wrote:

> That would basically completely enable policy shopping and/or fee shopping
> to select whichever of the 5 RIRs you wanted regardless of location.
>
> I cannot support that.

Since when is competition a bad thing? As long as someone is a member, they
are entitled to the resources just like every other member. As long as they
are not doing duplicate requests for the same deployment, and they are
meeting policy, what does it matter where the deployment happens?   Any
smart member of all 5 registries would realize which policies they do or do
not meet, and would only make one request any way.

Bottom line; you can't say regional use restrictions are an operational
requirement without redeploying all past discrepancies. This means any
attempt at regional use restrictions going forward is simply based on
hoarding the remaining pool.

Tony