[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-178 Regional Use of Resources

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Jul 14 16:49:06 EDT 2012

On Jul 14, 2012, at 15:18, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Proposal 178 has _NOTHING_ whatsoever to do with transfers. It only governs receipt and use of space from the ARIN free pool by parties requesting it from ARIN directly and keeping it registered in the ARIN database.
>
> Transfers are governed under section 8 which already allows the type of transfer you seem to be concerned about. Please re-read section 8 of the NRPM and then if you still think there is a problem, by all means, attempt to describe the problem such that it can be addressed. However, please make that part of a separate thread as it is utterly and completely unrelated to proposal 178.

Well not completely NOTHING to do with transfers.  But, I'll agree it has nothing to do with the examples in question, transferring resources out of the ARIN region, that is where the recipient is outside ARIN region and as a result the resources will end up under the control of another RIR.

However, It does have a little to do with a transfers within the ARIN region or to the ARIN region, that is where the recipient is inside the ARIN Region and the resources remain or end up under ARIN control.  But in this case I believe the policy allows the intended result of such a transfer to a recipient within the region.

Steve, and others does that make sense as written?  Or, does the policy or rationale need additional clarification on that point?

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952